Here’s an idea, why not make a flower bed out of an old table? Well I have! I had a very sad looking garden table, turned it upside down, cut it’s legs off and now I have a quite spacious but manageable flower bed 🙂
That old table now contains, lavender, seedum, geraniums and some tulip bulbs for the spring., I’ve never started a bed from scratch like that before so I’m very pleased 🙂
Hello, won’t you come in!
I’ve been being a bit quiet on hear recently because I’ve been having a bit of a rest. Things have still been happening and growing and I’ve just been in my studio painting! Yesterday though I went on a bit of a slow adventure and felt I had to share.
I went on a dyeing and spinning workshop for the day 🙂
We first cooked all the things that had been collected on site on the fire.
Some created quite a good colour like this fresh Alder bark.
This is some of the fleece that we dyed hanging up to dry.
We were shown how to make our own spindle out of Hazel wood….
….and were given some washed fleece so that we could learn to spin.
This is what I came home with. Some swatches of fleece that we’d dyed, our handmade spindle and a small skein of our very own spun yarn!
It was a very good day, but I was really tired when I got home. I think all the fresh (smokey) air did me good 🙂
I was really pleased with what I found on the market last week. I bought these silk flowers and vase for only £3.00 🙂
I’m very happy with what is happening in my green house.
Broad beans ready to plant out,
These potatoes ready to plant,
Tomatoes ready to pot on, peppers and cucumbers,
Mixed chilli peppers,
and a couple of strawberry plants I’ve bought inside to get some early fruit.
It’s time now to sow courgettes and squash. Growing things makes me happy, but I wish the weather would warm up! 😉
The chickens have been out in the garden since the avian flew restrictions have been lifted, but now it’s produce growing season they have to stay in doors! That means it’s time to cut the windows out of the new chicken house.
It looked quite drastic to begin with.
But with the help of some very sticky greenhouse tape, some cable ties and a length of chicken wire, we have managed to make some neat and tidy windows for our chickens to get some light and fresh air but not get soggy when it rains!
They do seem quite happy in their lovely new home! 🙂
This poly-tunnel was bought second hand with a view to making a practical chicken enclosure. The aim was to protect them from the worst of the weather in the winter and there being no where for bugs like spider mite to hide away.
I love Cointreau, unfortunately it has got very expensive so I really can’t afford that little treat! I have now found a recipe and have made my own orange liqueur. A very simple recipe that uses a supermarket vodka, orange zest, sugar and water. I worked out it costs half the price of the original.
I saved the oranges for marmalade (or you could juice them)
It only takes a few days to make but you are advised to leave it to mature for a few weeks. (if you can) 🙂